Archive for August, 2009
If I do say so myself…
I had some chicken. I had some cream. I had some leftover red bell pepper from a vegi tray. Mix it all together and you get…
Creamy Chicken and Pasta
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 chicken breast, cut into cubes
• ½ red bell peper, chopped
• 1 can of mushrooms (or a cup or so of fresh ones)
• ½ tablespoon dried oregano
• 2-3 table spoons garlic powder
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 tablespoon corn starch
• 2 table spoons of dried onion flakes (or a small onion, chopped)
• Fresh ground black pepper
• Parmesan cheese (could’ve been about ¼ cup)
• 1-1/2 cups uncooked macaroni (or equivalent of your favorite)
Cook macaroni per package directions.
In the meantime, heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot add olive oil and chicken. When the chicken is almost done, add the red peppers. When the peppers are almost done, add the mushrooms. If using fresh mushrooms add them at the same time as the peppers. If using a fresh onion, add a little before the peppers and mushrooms. Add oregano and garlic powder and stir together.
While the pasta and chicken/veggies are cooking, combine whipping cream, corn starch, onion flakes, black pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Use as much salt and pepper as you want. Remember that you can add more later so don’t overdo it.
When the chicken and veggies are cooked and while the pasta is draining, lower the heat on the chicken and add the cream mixture. Stir together. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and continue stirring. The sauce will thicken. When the sauce is thick, turn off the heat and add the pasta. Stir together and serve.
This recipe would also be great with some diced fresh tomatoes added at the same time as the cheese. I didn’t have any but would have LOVED to have been able to add them!